Monday, September 22, 2008

Jaxon's Binkie

My boys love their binkies... I was always a firm believer in babies not having pacifiers once they turned two. As a birthday present to Lucas we had him cut his up and trash it on his second birthday.. (kind i know) But with my sweet Carter(who is almost 3) I have tried to ween from his a million times, but he always seems to find his brothers and that creates a bit of a situation, and then of course he screams all night long... LITERALLY!! So unless i want to ween both and listen to double the trouble... I have decided to give in and allow both boys to use one...FOR MY SANITY SAKE HERE! So today while we were driving the car Carter and Jaxon were laughing and Lucas said... "MOM! JAXON BROKE HIS BINK!" As he pulled this up...




All I could think was... where's the other piece... So i raced to an empty spot on the side of the road ready to do some heavy duty searching for a possible serious choking hazard. Finally we found it on the floor beside Jaxon's car seat... THANK GOODNESS! I've never seen someone do so much damage to a binkie... not even my should be weened 2 1/2 year old....

That's it, I'm writing the company.. lol! And people wonder why I had to stop nursing =)!! The boy has t-rex chompers! So I am asking...should I just take the binkie from both boys? Or should I try to ween one while he still sees them all over the house? Or should I just leave it alone and worry about it tomorrow?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered the same thing about Macey taking Cardon's pacifier. The first couple times she did, but I just told her that's for babies not big girls...I only have 3 pacifiers for Cardon anyways and I just kept them out of reach for the first week or so after I took them away from her. She doesn't even ask for it anymore and doesn't take it from Cardon! I was so surprised! Hope this helps..

A Friend's Perspective said...

Quick! Find that catepillar video Rae used! The timing is perfect! Or you could do what my dad did for Rae and Val. We rounded up all the pacifiers in the house and he threw them into the fire. It was a big END to the pacifiers! You know dad, he likes to do BIG things. ;)
Good luck and let us know how you did!

Carissa said...

Kaleb had a problem with this. He was old enough that he ruined his binkies but still wanted them. I resolved not to buy anymore after he bit his last one. Then one day we were outside by a small creek near our condo in Logan and he accidentally dropped it in and was upset as he watched it float away forever. After that though, whenever he wanted it again we would talk about how it floated away down the river and was lost. He'd think about it for a while and then go on with his day and it seemed to work. I'd give it a try. When he asks for it, just tell him how it's all broken and there's no more. Good luck!

Brian said...

From my own experience, (vast, i know) I can tell you that we took Ethan's away cold turkey a month ago because he would cry when he awoke and couldn't find it. It took him a couple of days to get used to going to bed without the bink, but both Brian and I have noticed that he is less cranky in general now that there's not binky to comfort his every whim. All in all, we seem to be doing better without the binks :).
Good luck, though, with whatever you do!!

Krystal said...

I know about the crying at night thing, and don't blame you for not wanting to risk it. What we've done is talk up the big "ceremony" of throwing away the binky at the dumpster and how our kids will be such big boys when they do it. It took Jonah a couple of weeks before he said he wanted to throw away his pacifier, but he finally chose to do it. Then we took him to the elementary school and he threw it in. That way he knows it's gone for good, it can't be fished out of the dumpster, and he is the one who chose to be a big boy. For the first 2 nights or so, he was a little sad going to bed, but was fine when we told him he had chosen to be a big boy.

Marie said...

You are AWESOME!!!! I can't tell you how much I love your comments, so please keep them coming! (even though I'm not very good at commenting on others' blogs--sorry) So first of all, you have 2 nurseries for 10 kids?!!! We have like 15 kids in one nursery. We'd make a sixth and seventh nursery if we had room and people willing to serve in that calling. It's a rough one for us to fill. I can't imagine why, with 15 toddlers running around in there! It's a party!

We had a horrendous time trying to get Kalia off of her binkie. We finally got her off it and then we went on a long trip and to get her to sleep we let her use one of Ethan's binks. It was a survival tactic, but then we had to do the weening all over again. So with Ethan, we stopped the binkie right before he turned a year old and he hardly missed it. I think that's the perfect age to do it--they don't fight so hard against it. I'd definitely cut the bink on both boys at the same time, if I were you. I've heard of people just cutting the nipples off of all of them and showing him that they're broken and need to be thrown away. A bit traumatic though. I've heard of going to the doctor and he puts them in his cupboard of binkies for safe keeping. And then there's just giving it to him at bedtime, and then slowly reducing that too. Good luck!!!

Marie said...

Hey, you knew Molly, right? I found her. Here's her blog: http://www.sparkssparkles.blogspot.com/