I love pizza! I can not begin to explain my deep love for the food. It's the one food (minus potatoes) that i could eat every single day and not get tired of.... BELIEVE ME, I HAVE TRIED! A month ago i was recipe stalking some blogs and came upon these delish bad boys... MMMM MMM GOOD! They were an instant hit with my family and I would even venture far enuf to say I like them more than homemade pizza I make. The hubs gives them two thumbs up as well, which is always a good sign!!
First you need to make up some pizza dough. I try and keep balls of pizza dough frozen in my freezer for easy access. I just pull two balls out the night before and let them thaw thru the night and next day.
Here is my in-laws favorite pizza dough recipe:
Pizza Dough
(yield 2 pizza crusts) or 4-5 large calzones
5- 6 cups flour
2 Tablespoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups hot water (as hot as you can get it)
4 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
Put water, salt, olive oil, and honey all in mixer. Add 1-2 cups flour to make a soupy mixture. Then add Yeast and add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until right consistency.
(If you add the yeast to the first mixture then the salt will kill it and your dough won't rise)
Mix until the dough is stretchy and divide into four separate balls to work with.
I also try and keep a red sauce in the fridge on hand. (the flavor is better if it sits for a few days to let the seasonings and herbs blend).
Red Sauce:
Saute 3-4 cloves of raw garlic in EVOO
Put in a 13 oz can of tomato sauce
Season with
Basil
Italian Seasonings
Garlic Salt
Salt
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
and anything else you prefer... Sometimes I just use basil, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper... it's my favorite and makes a super marinara over pasta!
Roll out your pizza dough and cover half with red sauce. Sprinkle Mozzarella Cheese first and any other pizza toppings you like. Put an extra layer of cheese over toppings. Brush edges with egg whites and fold in half and roll edges. Once on the cookie sheet brush entire top with egg wash and sprinkle with garlic salt. I cook two on a sheet at a time.
Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes (I cook mine at 425 for 12 min exactly and they come out perfect, but everyone's oven is different)
**A Special Thanks To My Sister In Law Rachael, She is one of the best, most creative, awesome, cooks I know!! I grabbed this recipe from her blog! LOVE YOU RAE**
p.s. I serve this with a nice cesear salad and extra sauce for dipping!
4 comments:
this. looks. FABULOUS! i looooove calzones!! I am going to put this on my list for next week. :)
YUM! i want a calzone right now and its only 9:30 a.m.!
so i was so close to making these last night for dinner because i couldn't stop thinking about them all day! but i have a question, do you have to let the dough rise or anything before you bake it? i can't wait to make them!!
Yummy! The curry chicken looks good too!
Post a Comment