Saturday, June 18, 2011

P stands for Papa



I feel the need to make an announcement. For the last TWO solid weeks, I have slept like a baby! The last time i did that was, well, I think when i was... A BABY! I fell asleep and stayed in a nice peaceful slumber for a good 7-8 hrs each night. It was bliss. But for any of u who are paying attention to the time on this post u will notice that I am back at it again. I awoke at my normal time (before the birds) and probably won't go back to sleep until tonight. That's right folks, I'M A FREAK! But i come by it honestly. My maw maw, My Uncle Sam, My brother Ryan, and my Papa are all crazy insomniacs like I am. As a matter of fact, my uncle Sam will probably read this post tonight at this crazy hour because he too isn't sleeping!!

My lack of sleep makes me think of my papa each night I get up and wander my house in the quiet. What's that??? You can't believe I get up and walk around. If u slept as little as i did, U would get up too. When I lived at home, it was not uncommon to get up at a random time and run into another family member who was also NOT SLEEPING! No sneaking out of the house for me and my bros... waaaaay to easy for someone to catch u!

I grew up calling my dad "papa". Saying the word dad just doesn't even sound right rolling off my tongue. If i was to say, "dad" to refer to him, he wouldn't even look up. It would be like him saying... "hey, amy" while standing next to me and trying to get my attention.

My papa is awesome with a capital A. I am my father's child. Here are a few of his RockStar traits:

1. Very Funny--he can make me laugh so hard
2. Great Husband to my Mom
3. Great Provider
4. Hard Worker
5. Always on Time (that's where i get my crazy-ness for being promt)
6. He always picks "the winning team"
7. He is a man of great integrity in a world that where that no longer matters much for many
8. If his children suddenly become interested in some type of activity... he will be the first to begin to research it so he can be a part of what u suddenly love.
9. He is a competitor!! Now that his days of sports are over, he gets just as competitive when he use to cheer us on. When I was at the state power lifting championships in HS I could hear his voice louder than any other yelling my name and cheering that I could do it.
10. He knows how to make me feel special as a daughter!

My mom and I laugh, because when people meet me and then meet my mom they usually comment about how much we look alike. My mom always responds with, "uh, u need to meet her dad!" and it's true, I strive in many ways to be like my mom, but when it comes to my papa... I'm just a natural at the job!! Love u Papa!! Happy Father's Day!!!

1 comment:

the happy thomas family said...

you're not the only one who rarely sleeps. i have the strangest sleep patterns of anyone i know. in fact, i do better with less. for instance, if my mom talks to me and i'm in a bad mood ... her first response? "you must have gotten some sleep." so sad!

hooray for great dads. yours certainly sounds like a gem. he certainly has a wonderful daughter. :)