
Last year my Paternal Grandmother (Maw Maw) was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It was a shock to the family and made for a very nervous time. Maw Maw didn't have any signs. The doctor just happened to ask her if she would like to have her mammogram while she was at the hospital. Luckily she was able to have surgery to take care of all the cancer. Today she is as lively as ever. I love my maw maw and am so happy she is okay.
Last week I began my training for a half marathon i am doing in March. On Saturday my scheduled long run was 5k. So I took the opportunity to enter a 5k Race (in honor of Maw Maw and others who have had Breast Cancer) to see what it's like to be in a "race" setting. I was amazed at the turnout. There were hundreds of runners and walkers there. I learned A LOT about preparing and what it takes before race day and on race day. I have a long way to go. I finished the race in 36min which puts my miles at 12m each. Not strong, but a good start.. It took me 45ish when pushing both boys and 35 on a treadmill (this week) so I was hoping for a 40 min finish. 36minutes is obviously under so I am pleased. When I was finished I wasn't too beat and recovered really quickly. By Sunday evening I was really excited about beginning my training for week 2! (that's always a good sign) Kimberly's husband took the pictures. I raced with some friends of mine.. (Kimberly- in the green), (Andrea- in the grey) and Sarah... But i don't have any pics of her =(. On to the next race!!

Things I will need to change:
1. Improve my time
2. Healthier Diet
3. BRING IPOD- My biggest disappointment, i didn't think I could use one and was really bummed when I saw that tons of people did!!
4. Practice running and drinking at the same time (for my longer runs) sounds funny, but you try it... IT'S HARD!
5. Good Stretch before start and at finish (I suffer from really bad shin splints)
6. Become more mentally focused. Visualization is everything for me... if I am serious about running I need to take runs (especially races, much much more seriously)
** I am posting this so I can journal my training from beg to end and track my progress... I am open to hints or ideas from those of you who have running experience... especially in longer distance!**
3 comments:
What was that website that helps you train for marathons?? I am excited to get started but I have got to kick this sickness!!
Congrats girl!!! Don't forget about the next one in Jan :0)
I love that you're into running. I'm not as big a fan of running, so I really like the triathlons since a 5K is the farthest that I run. Keep us posted on your progress!
Post a Comment