Friday, April 9, 2010

Randomness...AND THE BIG APPLE

I have a few thoughts:

1. I have always wanted to write a book, but not a novel. I don't follow english grammar and am a horrible speller... I write like speak and that can make things difficult. But i just about have a complete outline in my mind and even a title. It would be funny and written especially for moms (because we need laughter on days we just can pull it together and want to cry, you know, lite reading (is that the way you spell that kind of light??...hmmm, i'll definitely need an editor) .... I think i'm gonna do it! Please humor me and tell me when you leave a comment that you would read it.... just to make me feel better!

2. Sometimes i have a lot to say, but don't post because i don't have a picture to go with it. I feel like a page with just a bunch of words looks blah to the page... GUESS I BETTER START TAKING MORE PICS... CUZ MY BRAIN IS OOOOZING WITH THOUGHTS THAT NEED TO BE BLURTED OUT!

3. This one isn't as much a thought, but more like quick travel log... don't worry folks, i'll make it quick!

My trip to New York:
Joe and I got up early and drove to atl thursday morning. I was so excited to go. We landed and grabbed a cab quickly and were quickly swept off to Manhattan. The driver asked if we wanted to get to our hotel quickly and we told him to please take his time because we just wanted to look out the window.

We stayed midtown on time square... our window overlooked it all. We stayed at the hilton times square and had a very nice (big) room.


When we checked in, we asked for a great place to eat. He said if you want pizza there is one of the best pizzeria's one block away called Johns.... IT WAS MAGNIFICENT!



After eating almost the entire pizza (just the two of us) we walked back to the hotel for a nap (since we had been up since 3, and we knew we would be out until late)... We got up and got ready for broadway that night. We went and saw Phantom. It's one of joe's favorites. I really wanted to see Wicked, but my dad and i have a date to go in san francisco in august and I told him (my dad) i would wait to watch it with him...(since joe doesn't really care). We had great seats in the orchestra and the music was amazing.



The next morning I was up early ready to start the day, but this is joe's vacation too. So i let him sleep and I got up and walked the city on my own. I grabbed a cup of hot chocolate from a local shop, wrapped up in my scarf and coat with my ipod in and felt like a true new yorker. The tour bus men didn't stop and talk to me and I felt LOCAL! It was so much fun. I did that each morning of my trip for an hour and a half and then would stop in a cafe and read the newspaper, or read my book. It was wonderful and one of the best parts of my trip. By ten or so, I would hear from joe and we would meet down in the lobby to start our day. We took lots of fun pictures and met up with joe's brother johnathan and his wonderful wife, julie. They drove up from d.c. to spend a couple of days with us. Julie goes up to the city for business and they both knew their way around pretty well, so it was nice to have our own private guides.

We walked on avg 10-12 miles a day... ALEAST. We did downtown and saw the ny stock exchange and ground zero. And I had to do the subway atleast once, just for the experience. But for the most part we walked EVERYWHERE... i wanted to truly soak it all in and not miss anything.








Our last day we walked 5th ave from time square to central park and the plaza hotel (home alone). We did some shopping along the way, and went to a comedy club that night.





Pictures from the last night:




The last day I wanted to cry when it was time to leave. I could be a new yorker. I understand why people from their have so much pride for their city. It's WONDERFUL! Joe purchased the tickets and surprised me in January. He didn't really have a deep desire to go, but knew i really did. But as we were driving home from atl sunday afternoon we talked. Because joe is a builder, he has a real appreciation for the architecture and designs of the city. You have old buildings right next to brand new ones and it truly takes your breath away. He loved it just for that... AND OF COURSE.... THE FOOD! New York is an inspiring city... Jay-Z and Alicia Keys are right... "This place will make you feel brand new, these lights will inspire you!" I can't wait to go back! Thank you new york for a wonderful trip!

10 comments:

Marie said...

Since I love to read your blog, I'm sure I'd love to read your book too! That NY trip looks so fun!

SARAH said...

When we are old and our husbands have left us behind. You and me...we will get a flat in NYC!

Mitchell4 said...

wow wow and wow. Amanda. What an incredible trip. You squeezed in a ton. It's so nice having your own tour guides. Oh yeah and I would absolutely read your book. I'm sure you have some stories that are priceless. We all need a good laugh once in awhile.

A Friend's Perspective said...

Amanda, I would read your book! And think about it - a book is a blog without pictures! Your writing is ALWAYS entertaining. Love it. Love you!

us said...

Great post. I can't wait to read your book! My cousin is an author and it is always fun to read a book when you know ho wrote it. Your New York pics look so fun. I have always wanted to go there. Maybe someday...

The Phipps said...

You are amazing!! You have so much fun and i would read your book for sure!! i loved hearing about your trip....and was that the real samuel jackson or wax??

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't wait to go to NY! Now your next trip...ITALY!!! Save, save, save!

~The Dippold's said...

What a fun trip! Of course I would read your book! :) Love the pics!

Lisa Fox said...

Me too...I'll read your book!!!
I was SOOO sad that Brett and I couldn't meet you guys up there..especially since I have never been to NYC either. I have to say I am so copying you and getting up before Brett and walking around with my HC and hitting a cafe...that sounds heavenly!

Kara said...

I LOVE New York! I can't wait to go back! I want to wait until Hayleigh is old enough to remember it and take her! We visited Boston too while we were on the East Coast and that city is amazing as well! Glad you had so much fun!