Sunday, May 2, 2010

Flirting with Middle School Boys





These pictures are totally random from my library of blackberry photos. But i wanted my readers to have something pretty to look at, so... VIOLA.. You have pics we take in the car while driving. Lucas loves my phone and is always taking random pictures of people that pull up next to us at red lights or of his crazy mother who poses for the camera in "crazy girl" fashion. Joe swears i can't take a normal pic to save my life... perhaps this is true.

Last week lucas was running late for school. So i had to take him into the office. Because we have now reached the end of the school year I feel like I have become pretty acquainted with the office staff and other administrators at his school. This particular morning i came into the office to sign him in and it was right when students are dropping off lunch counts for the day and other notes so the area surrounding the desk was pretty crowded. On the sign-in sheet i have to put STUDENT NAME, MY NAME, REASON FOR BEING LATE, AND THE TIME... When i went to fill in the time I looked up to the clock, but it was blocked by a young 6th or 7th grade boy. So i smiled and i twiddled my fingers to motion for him to move his head. He responded with a smile and a little finger twiddle back (to say hello i guess). So I responded again with a smile but did more of a shoving motion with my hands (like i was parting the red sea) to get the boy to move, but he just continued to smile and gaze into my (now irritated) brown eyes. This went on a few times til finally I realized I would need to be forceful, so i said, "hey kid, can you move your bean so i can see what time it is!" .....I'm kidding... I wanted to say that, but my polite upbringing made me respond with, "excuse me darlin, I need to get the time off the clock your head is blocking, would you please move to your right...." He looked a bit disoriented and his shoulders did drop an inch or two, but the fact that I am signing a child into class should of been an indicator that I'M JUST A LITTLE TOO OLD!... nonetheless, I am often told i still look like a middle schooler and i will be happy if i can keep this look til i'm fifty (C'mon oil of olay...work your magic!) My fingers are crossed. But for now, it made for a great laugh with the other office ladies and a nice giggle for me on the way home.

The moral of this story is that when I need to get the attention of a middle school boy, I need to pull a face like this:





And I will definitely get his attention!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, you should be so proud that you still look young!

us said...

First of all, it is not fair that you look young. As I have started seeing wrinkles pop out I wish I could say the same. I can't believe your son is in middle school. Where does time go?

Unknown said...

I am totally busting a gut! This is another testament to the fact that boys are clueless and women have to specifically detail to them what they want and what the man needs to do so we can be happy. true? So true.

~The Dippold's said...

You are hilarious! You never cease to amaze me! Love the stories! :)

Kelly Ovard said...

Amanda, I can't believe you are happy to look young- I still get quite tired of it. I just tell people I was 12 when i had my kids, that usually stuns them and they don't know what to say.....

Laura said...

oh my goodness this is hilarious!!

I LOVE your blog!!
I hope I'll see you while I'm home for a little bit before summer classes.

amanda said...

That is sooooo funny! And by the way, any fun camp ideas I may have are yours. What do you have to come up with? Also, I have too many non-swimmers (my awesome excuse that i promised).

i never get mistaken for youth anymore. so sad for me!

AshleyC said...

love it! LOL