Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thai Green Curry Chicken

I dedicate this meal to Abby and Laura.  You have given me the desire to find fun new things to cook!  Thank You, I had hit a slump FOR SURE!!

Last night I was craving some Thai food!  Since my family is really trying to focus on not eating out so much, I was determined to make something from home that would fill my desire.  One of my favorite dishes is Green Curry Chicken.  I was up for the challenge.  I read thru a few recipes I found online then darted into the world unknown and made my own recipe following.  Perhaps it isn't as authentic as the real thing... but let's face it... how many "ethnic" places really are authentic?  I like to think of it as Americanized Thai cuisine!  Here Goes:

Thai Green Curry Chicken
2.5. lbs thawed bnls sknls chicken cut into strips
2 1/2 c. coconut milk (unsweetened)
3/4 c. of chic stock
1 c. cooked peas and carrots (i used it from the can to save time last night, u may use more if u want tons of veggies) *"ps & crts"
2 cloves of garlic, diced
half of a large onion chopped
pinch of kosher salt
1-2 tbsp evoo and butter to coat the pan
3 tbsp green curry paste (again, u can make ur own, but i was trying to save time, last night i just used the paste, if you live local and need to know where to buy some let me know, otherwise i will post how to make it as well)
White Rice (Jasmine or Basmatti are my favorites)
1 bay leaf

Heat a deep pan with the evoo and butter.  Start water to cook rice.  Place onion in and saute until translucent, throw in garlic and stir making sure u don't burn the garlic (1-2 min).  Add curry (3 tbsp) *ps & crts and stir.  Pour in Coconut Milk, Chic Stock, a pinch of kosher salt, a bay leaf and stir until low boil begins.  Throw in chic strips and poach on med-med high (10-15 min) keep stir to make sure the mixture does not burn on bottom. 

Serve over hot sticky rice with a veggie side.  I like the "gravy/sauce" as much as the chicken part (perhaps more) so i tend to make more.  Even when the chicken is gone... i will keep the sauce to use on my rice until it's all gone.

--Delish! As a matter of fact, i had leftovers and am eating some while i write this.

Please Note: I am not a photographer. Sorry the picture isn't very fancy, I almost forgot to take one altogether... this was taken with my phone 30 seconds before it was devoured!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Yum! I am a creature of habit too. I need to branch out! I will have to give this a go!

Anonymous said...

Yum!!!! I need to do the same thing and make lots of different meals to spice things up. I'll have to try this recipe. :)