*photo courtesy of pioneer woman cooks
Hold on to ur horses ladies and gents (like any men read my blog)... I am posting yet another recipe. Wow! What has gotten into me?!?!? I don't know, but I LIKE IT! I cleaned the house this morning, went to the gym mid morning and have spent the rest of the day in the kitchen... Hmmm, all morning in gym, all afternoon in kitchen???? Sounds a bit like an oxymoron if i ever heard one, nevertheless i have been good and left the muzzle on and not devoured the meal i have been hard at work creating!
Let's begin.
First things I tackled: a nice batch of pico de gallo, marinade for the chicken, and salsa so the flavors would mesh in the fridge before the meal this evening.
4-5 Large (Firm) Tomatoes diced
1 small onion or 1/2 large onion diced
1 jalapeno seeded and diced
1 lime freshly squeezed
2 Cloves of garlic minced
and cilantro to taste
kosher salt
Combine all ingredients and drizzle evoo over top and place in fridge
Salsa:
4 overly ripe romas & 1/2 can diced tomatoes (I use whichever i have on hand, today i did both)
kosher salt
2 spoonfuls of Jarred jalapenos diced and juice from jar
1 tbsp cumin
cilantro (depending on how much you like it in ur salsa)
Diced 1/4 onion
Throw all ingredients into Cuisinart and chop chop chop... make sure it doesn't puree ur mixture... I made the mistake of doing this in my vita mix once and it was one soupy mess. Place in Tupperware and stick it in ur fridge. Note: I like to keep a little tub of this on hand in my fridge, you never know when u'll get a hankering for some chips and salsa. "la la la la la la bamba!"
Marinade:
This is called tequila lime chicken, however I don't drink and rarely use alcohol in my cooking so i usually try for the substitute. In this case, the sub in cactus juice. Darn, I'm fresh out! (who keeps that in their pantry ANYWAYS???) So I am not using it at all. My sister in law Kimberly makes a marinade very similar to this (or it may be the exact one) and it's wonderful.
1 lime juiced
1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno seeded and diced
evoo
Throw all ingredients into ur blender and blend baby, blend! It should be a nice bright- beautiful green. Pound out ur bls skinless chickens and put them in a gallon sized Ziploc bag, pour in marinade, seal and put in ur fridge.
--Top Three Recipes are better the earlier you make them, I would even try and do this once i put the monkeys down for the night if i had enuf energy--
Next, THE TORTILLAS!!!!
Again, this can be made in advance, perhaps on a lazy Sunday. I'm not gonna lie, they take some time, but you will never want to buy store purchased ever again. So hold on tight, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
Ingredients:
Lard-- YIKES! what a word... You may also use veggie Crisco, but Lard is best once u get past the word
(p.s. you can find lard next to Crisco at the grocery store)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 c and 2 tbsp lard
1 cup hot (non boiling) H2O-- that means water
Begin by combining flour, salt, and powder. Mix. Drop lard in by spoonfuls into flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or fork to mix ingredients. Continue to break lard up in flour until the consistency is crumbles. Pour in hot water and mix, once it's formed into one ball knead on lightly floured surface 30-40 times. Place in a bowl covered with a clean cloth and leave for an hour.
** This gives u time to clean the kitchen of ur used pots and pans, switch over laundry, sweep the floor, contemplate life, and take approximately 5 deep breaths and do some nice yoga moves** I LOVE YOGA
When you come back to ur bowl the dough should of doubled in size (even if it isn't exactly double it's a.o.k!)
Separate into ping pong size rolled balls and place on a greased cookie sheet and allow to rest for 30 minutes before handling.
When you’re ready to make the tortillas, head a dark or cast iron griddle to medium/medium-high heat. One by one, roll out balls of dough until very, very thin. Throw tortillas (one by one) onto the griddle. Cook on each side for 20 to 30 seconds, removing while tortillas are still soft but slightly brown in spots. Remove and stack tortillas, and cover with a towel to keep warm. Serve immediately or allow to cool before storing tortillas in a container. To warm, nuke tortillas in the microwave, or wrap in foil and warm in the oven.
Viola Ladies.... TORTILLAS! unless u are feeding the masses, these should last for a few meals!
Now Let's talk about MEXI RICE
you'll need:
1/2 stick butter
1/2 onion diced
2 cloves or garlic (yes i know there is a theme here)
1 1/2 cups white rice (not instant)
1 can drained original rotel (tomatoes and chillies)
1 can diced tomatoes w/juices
3 c. chic stock
cilantro chopped
melt butter in pot, saute onion, throw in rice and garlic, stir constantly. Throw in can of rotel and diced tomatoes. Stir well over medium heat until mixed. Add chic stock and bring to boil uncovered. Place on lid and turn temp down to med/low and cook for 20 min. Garnish with cilantro!
And lastly, what's Mexican food without BEANS!!!!
(beans, bean, good for ur heart, the more you eat, the more you, ....uh, er, smile?)
Need:
1-2 Cans Black Beans-1 can feeds 4-6ish, 2 cans 6-8ish (yes i use cans, i Hate preparing, soaking and cooking beans0
2-4 Heaping Spoonfuls of ur Pico De Gallo you made that morning and blend with an immersion blender.
1 Heaping spoonful of LARD -since you just used it on tortillas
Cook over medium heat until warm and serve immediately!
Take Chicken out of Marinating Bag from fridge and grill. Combine all yummy dishes together with some cheese, guacamole, and sour cream and you have one BEAUTIFUL MEAL!!!



4 comments:
i am starving right now and those look delish.....Come over here and whip me up a batch!
ohhhh my goodness gracious! those look so good! it was so good to finally see you on sunday!
This looks FANTASTIC!! I def am going to try this soon!! Perhaps when I have my next test...this seems like a great procrastination project ;)
WOW, this looks SO yummy. I can not wait to try this. You are my hero. By the way I miss having you in my house as the second wife!! hahaha
Post a Comment