Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Roaring 1920's: The Charleston Era

In January, Joe said to me one evening... "Someone from church called today and wanted you to call them back." --then he paused-- "it's because she heard u danced????"  He looked at me funny and we both laughed.  I didn't have a  number to call so I waited a few days and sure enuf, she called again.  She told me she had to put on a skit in March that went thru the last hundred years or so and that she needed someone to dance the Charleston.  I tried to decline:  #1 i have never done the Charleston, #2 my life is very busy, #3 I wasn't going to be able to make any of the practices... and the list went on.  She looked at me and said she really really needed my help.  So with a deep breath and sigh, i agreed.  To be perfectly honest i didn't really even think of it again until the middle of February when i realized time was running out.  So i began to prep...I have watched every Charleston YouTube clip from dancing with the stars to "how-to" clips, and have studied the era and history until my eyes were bloodshot.  It felt like every night leading up to this event i spent dreaming of living in the 20's... i even think my dreams were in BLACK & WHITE. 

I'm a competitor and I enjoy performing it's just part of my genetic make-up.  I have performed in front of thousands and just about everything imaginable has happened to me while performing... so why was this one giving me such problems???  Honestly, I think it was mainly because it has been so long since I've been out of my comfort zone.  My mom was great, she was so encouraging.  After all, she has watched me practice from the time I was young for each new dance, play, competition that has come my way, and in true mom fashion she was there for me again with a txt that morning with words of encouragement and a big hug before I went on stage.  I love u mom!



Yesterday was the skit, and I think my family and myself are both excited to say... IT'S OVER!!  If my boys have to listen to the Charleston or watch me dance in the kitchen one more time they will head for the hills screaming!  My mom came and like any proud parent brought her camera and snapped pics as I performed.  I'll post those when she emails them to me.

 I heard something last week that I thought about as I was going thru this week: "Sometimes it's important to leave your COMFORT ZONE and enter the LEARNING ZONE." Looking back at this week I am very thankful for the chance to experience the high of performing once again.








The hair was waved
The Nails (fingers and toes) were firetruck RED
The headache band and feather made me feel a little "indain-ish"
The pearls were long and dangled
The shoes were t-strapped
the dress flapped
& the lips...
R.E.D!









*some pics were a little blurry because we were trying to take the pics so quickly, but i still wanted to add them so u could get an idea of the costume!

3 comments:

A Friend's Perspective said...

Way to go Miss Manda! I'm sure you rocked the house!!!

Mitchell4 said...

Amanda I didn't get a chance to tell you that you rocked that stage. The moves were perfect, the outfit was spot on. It was so fun to watch you cuz you were awesome. You looked gorgeous.

the happy thomas family said...

good for you - i know you did great. the 20s is my favorite era after the 40s. i often do dream in black and white. so I get it. good for you, stepping out if your comfort zone.